Official Putnam County Illinois logo

120 North 4th Street, Hennepin, IL 61327 

Hours:  Monday - Friday  9:00 - 4:00

Deputy Jacob Bush
(Putnam County Sheriff's Office)

120 N. 4th Street, P.O. Box 177
Hennepin, IL  61327

E-Mail:   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

815-925-7914 (fax)

According to the Illinois Control Act, “every owner of a dog over 4 months of age shall have each dog inoculated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian…”  Therefore, every dog in Putnam county is required to have a current rabies vaccination and be registered with Putnam County Animal Control.  As of January 1, 2020, Putnam County has been required by the State to have all indoor cats registered and vaccinated as well. 

A 1 year registration fee for a spayed/neutered dog/cat is $15.00 and the 3 year registration fee is $45.00.  A 1 year registration fee for an intact dog/cat is $25.00 and the 3 year registration fee is $75.00.  The fees will be collected in one sum; no longer will you be billed for the 2nd and 3rd years of the vaccination period. 

When your dog/cat receives their vaccination, the appropriate fee is collected at the time of service if your veterinarian issues a Putnam County tag.  If your veterinarian does issue Putnam County tags, they will submit the vaccination certificates to Putnam County Animal Control (PCAC) and they will be entered into the PCAC database. 

Not all veterinarians issue Putnam County Tags.  If your veterinarian does not issue Putnam County tags or submit vaccination certificates, it is then the responsibility of the animal owner to bring in or mail a copy of the rabies certificate to the Putnam County Animal Control, P.O. Box 177, Hennepin, IL  61327.  Upon receipt of the vaccination certificate, an invoice will be sent to the owner.  Once the fee is paid, either by check or cash, the PCAC will issue a tag to the owner. 

In Putnam County, there is no actual “dog catcher.”  Stray dogs are handled by each village’s police department or the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office.  Pet control ordinances and leash laws also vary by village.  Please contact the appropriate village for questions pertaining to ordinances or requirements. 

If you want to report a stray dog, call the appropriate village police department or the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office.  If available, a deputy/officer may be dispatched.  Please not that the rural areas of the county do not have a leash law and often these dogs are truly not a stray.  If you feel the animal may be in harm or is causing grief in a particular area, please call the appropriate law enforcement agency. 

If you have lost your dog, please call the local police department or the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office so that we may help locate your dog, and notify your family if a dog is found.  If you have questions about a found animal, please contact the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office. 

PCAC does not deal with wild animals such as deer, skunk, bats, racoon, etc.  If you have questions/concern regarding this matter, please contact the IL Department of Natural Resources (IL DNR).